Now that HBO’s Game of Thrones is over for the season, I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my newly found free time while I wait nearly a year for the next season to start. Given how dedicated geeks can be to our favorite shows and movies, I’ve compiled a few suggestions on how to pass the time while waiting for the next season to start:
1) Catch up on chores around the house. While that eight foot tall, Leaning Tower of Pisa made entirely of dishes may not bother you, it’s still probably a good idea to take care of it before your neighbors or roommates call the Health Department.
2) Exercise. I’m sure that the couch is really comfortable (mine is), and you really don’t like sweating (Amen!), but we geeks have a reputation for not being in the best of shape. Just think of it as playing an RPG: if you don’t level up, you will get your ass kicked. Maybe it’ll even help you pick up that hot booth babe at your next con (Look, a man can dream, can’t he!).
3) Learn a new skill. Maybe you can learn woodworking, or how to cook. You can even give your creations some geek flair. What better way to start off your season premiere party than with a huge platter of Klingon Gagh? A few weeks ago we shared an article from Popular Mechanics explaining how to make a vintage style gaming table. How cool would it be to show this off to all your friends? It would make them greener than the Hulk!
4) Spend time with your family. Remember those people who love you? Yeah, them. You’ve probably been ignoring them for the last few weeks while you’ve been obsessing. Time to remind them you’re still alive. Go ahead! Give grandma a call. I’m sure she’d love to hear from you.
5) Expand your geek knowledge. Recently we mentioned that knowledge is a key element of being a geek, so take this down time to expand your horizons. I know I am. Check out that run of X-Men you’ve always meant to read; or maybe finally get around to playing that X-box game your friends have been raving about for the last 5 years (I’m kind of ashamed of the stack of games I’ve got that I have yet to play).
There are approximately 300 days left until the Season 4 Game of Thrones premier. Go forth, and use them wisely!! (Or just read all the posts on the Song of Ice and Fire Forum.)